Friday, November 27, 2009

JP Motors - An Honest Review...

Yes, thats right folks. The well known car dealership in Burlington ON has again ripped off another individual.. ME!...

I purchased a 2008 Hummer H3 from them on October 13 2009... Why? They were the only dealership in Burlington I could find that had one. :) I fell in love with the Truck as soon as I saw it, and decided to buy it and mentioned to the sales man that the truck was missing 2 tow hooks. He advised they would be replaced so we went through with the purchase.

Seemed like a relaltivly easy transaction from the Get Go, but that was short-lived. When applying for finance, the sneaky business manager tried to add in additional services like rust-proofing and loan insurance into the Monthly payment estimates without mentioning that it was being added. I had to keep asking him "what does this payment include".... But anyways, the Truck was supposed to be delivered on October 16th, but didn't pass safety, so it was pushed until Oct 19th. Again, the wrong part was ordered so delivery was pushed again until October 20th.

We picked up the truck on the 10/20 and the items we had asked to be replaced were not done. We were told by the delivery co-ordinator that the parts were on order and they would be in at the end of the week. Also noticed that the drivers side seat rear pouch was missing. Advised that to the Delivery co-ordinator and she advised it would be ordered.

No call back after that, I called back on 10/26 and spoke to Tammy in service. She advised me that the salesperson was to call me and to tell me that they called Hummer, and Hummer said that the H3 only comes with 1 tow hook. Its universal so you can move it around. I found that hard to believe so I called the salesman Scott, he confirmed that all the other Hummers had 3 tow hooks. He said he would speak to Tammy and call back.. But the call was never returned. I also advised Tammy of a problem with the rear brakes grinding, and that the passenger side foot rail was loose. She advised to schedule an appointment to have it looked at, but I did not want to come in until the tow hook situation was resolved.

On 10/27 I spoke with Scott about the Tow hooks, and he advised he would take them off an existing truck, I advised that was unsatisfactory as I was already told that I was getting new tow hooks from the dealer. I came to the dealership and spoke to Rob the Service Manager. He didn't want to hear the story about how the dealership was trying to rip me off, instead he just wrote down what needed to be fixed. We scheduled a service appointment for 11/5 and advised that the tow hooks would be in by then.

On 11/4 I called Rob to confirm the tow hooks were in, Rob stated that he only recieved 1 tow hook from the dealership. This was a lie, the tow hooks were not coming from Hummer, as I had called Hummer to inquire, and they told me they were only sold in sets of 3. We rescheduled the appt for 11/12.

On 11/11 I called Rob and he advised the 2nd tow hook still didn't arrive. I faxed a formal complaint letter to Mr Pattinson and recieved a call promptly from the salesman Scott the very next morning on 11/12

On 11/12 Rob called and advised that the tow hook was in, scheduled the service appointment for 11/13 to replace the tow hooks, fix the loose rail, take a look at the brakes, and to replace the missing rear seat drivers side pouch.

On 11/13 dropped off the truck at 8AM, asked Rob if he wanted to go for a drive to investigate the brake problem but he said it wouldnt be necessary. I got a call from him at 9:30 saying he couldnt find anything wrong with the brakes. I told him to take it for another drive, and got a call back at 3:30, Rob said he had 4 people take it for a drive, and also took all the tires off, and couldn't find a problem. I advised Rob that I am able to replicate the problem everytime i drive the truck, and that I would be bringing it in again if its still happening. He advised that the rear pouch that they took from another truck wouldnt fit so it had to be ordered. (Another lie... they told me it was already on order..)

On 11/16 I called in to Service and Spoke with Chris about the brakes, he advised he took the truck out on the HWY and couldnt find anything wrong with it. I let him know the problem is still happening, so I scheduled an appt for 11/18.

On 11/18 went to the dealership at 8AM, went for a drive with Serivce technician Pedro. He heard the noise that was coming from the rear brakes and ackowledged something was wrong with them. Rob advised that the rear pouch was on back order and still wasn't in.

11/18 I followed up and was advised that the rear brake rotors needed to be re-surfaced. This definately did fix the problem. I spoke to the Sales Manager Jeff and he acknowledged he received my complaint letter, he advised he would speak to The other sales manager Jason and to follow up with him on 11/20.

11/20 I called Jeff, he advised he was at the other lot the whole day and couldnt speak to Jason until later. He advised he would call me back.. but never did.

11/27 Did not recieve a call back from Jeff all week.. I faxed a formal complaint letter at 10AM to Jeff letting him know that I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau on Monday.
At the time of writing this Blog post, it is now 2:10PM and I still haven't heard any response from Jeff, Jason, Larry or Rob about my Truck..


The summary? Don't buy any vehicle from this place! They made promises at the time of buying that they didn't keep and then just tried to brush me off. I have gone back and fourth with so many people at this dealership for a month and have now filed a complaint against them with the Business Bureau.

This is definately a case of BUYER BEWARE!

**UPDATE** After faxing the letter to Jeff notifying that I have filed the complaint with the Business Bureau, I received a call from the Sales Manager Jason at 8:50PM. He advised he just got the letter 5 minutes ago, and his first few words of the conversation were "I don't care that you're not going to buy another car from me, I dont care that you're not going to refer anyone to me, I don't care about the business bureau......." Doesn't seem like he cares a lot about his own family business... He told me he just wants to resolve this issue and we both never have to deal with each other again.. After speaking with him on the phone explaining everything again to him (he claims he didn't know what was going on). He said he never even read this blog, even though the link was typed in the letter he was responding to me when he called me, and wasn't interested in me faxing a copy to him either. He told me he would talk to all the individuals I dealt with at the dealership and call me back around 10AM... I never received a call from him until the afternoon, telling me he was in late, and didn't have a chance to talk to them. He told me he would call me later on in the afternoon and give me reasons as to why I was being treated in such a way. As of 12:35PM on 12/2/2009 still no call back from the Sales Manager.

**Update** Recieved a call from Jason to discuss the tow hooks on 12/3. He advised it was simply a mis-communication... I still don't buy that. He advised he spoke to the Service Manager about the brakes but couldn't get any straight answer out of him and would call back to discuss the issues with the Brakes and Missing Rear Seat Pouch. I have now received a formal letter from the Business Bureau advising that the complaint has been filed with JP Motors.

**Update** No call back from anyone from JP Motors as of 12/9....

**Update** Recieved a Call from Rob & JP on 12/10, the Missing Pouch finally came in... Picked Up but still no call from Management as to the issue with Brakes and why it took so long for the rear pouch to be ordered. Hopefully this can be resolved by the Better Business Bureau.

**Update** JP Motors never responded to the attempts made by the Business Bureau to resolve the issue. I recieved a Letter from the BBB last week that this case has now been marked as Unresolved with the BBB due to no response from JP Motors.... This just further highlights that this company doesn't care at all to resolve issues you have..

Save yourself the trouble.. Avoid this dealership...

13 comments:

  1. New dealerships aren't any better, I had the WORST experience dealing with Colombo Chrysler in Woodbridge and had to go to OMVIC to get my issue even remotely resolved. Don't even begin to think that a new car dealership wouldn't do this.

    I even spoke with Chrysler/Dodge Canada AND the US head office, and my replies were "We have nothing to do with it, resolve it with the dealer." I wasn't getting ANYWHERE with the dealer!!!! Who else am I supposed to go to???

    The only problem I have with this blog is I don't know if he had it in writing that they were going to provide the hooks and the seat pocket. And it also seems that "Could not replicate the problem" is the default response to legitimate complains. I too had my rear brakes making noise every time I stopped. "Could not replicate" was my answer.

    All these problems not being address will never EVER see my ass in another Chrysler/Dodge product EVER again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to add, while their website is very detailed it is a bit disturbing that they do not advertise (at least the tundra I looked at) that it was an american car and it was in an accident ($500 estimate so probably just scratched paint) but still. A bit weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much all their cars are American and you can view the Car Proof report right on the website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JP motors in my opinion is the WORST!!!!! EVER!
    I bought a 2008 Kia Rio5 103,000km which they wrote as 108,000 which meant I had to take it in earlier to keep my warranty... Driving it off the lot, after it was "safetied", I noticed misfiring. They were cool about it and replaced the spark plugs.
    2.5 months later my tranny went, followed by the battery, then the bearing and outer tie rod end.

    At one point my wife and new baby went in and talked face to face with Ryan, the owners son, about our car. I tried to explain to him that we were counting on this car to last at least a worry free year and we would like a refund or good trade in value.... But I didn't want any of their vehicles.

    Nothing was resolved as stated before I was brushed off. Once they make their sale you're on your own.

    It's unfortunate that some well built companies get left to be run by incompetent rich kids who don't care.

    I f***ing HATE jp motors.
    That's my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking at the site and noticed that they have a "no payments for 6 months" deal right know. I called inquiring of the details for this financing plan and was told that deal was over at the end of February. It is now March 22 and it is still posted on the website. I was told that the deal for the month of March was 4.95% financing. The website also states in the fine print that they don't finance any vehicle older then 2007. I stated that the vehicle I was looking at was a 2006. I asked why if they knew I was looking at a 2006 they would be offering me finance rates of 4.95%. Their answer "I'm not sure why, please come into the dealership and have a look at some of our vehicles and we will be happy to help"....WHAT KIND OF ANSWER IS THAT???. Needless to say I wont be spending money here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing this blog. I have been looking for a used car for awhile and a lot of the dealers I seem to find, end up having a bad review in the end.

    It's been about a month now and I still have not been able to find a reliable dealer.. used car shopping is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is very detailed and wish I would have done my research on JP Motors before wasting my time (at least my experience didn't end with me buying from JP Motors). I gave a deposit for a 2010 Acura to hold while I was arranging the funds through my bank (it ended up taking 9 days). Sales guy said no problem "you have the first right of refusal".... if someone is interested he would give me a call to see if I wanted to pass on the car. I called when my funds were released from the bank only to be told they sold the car but I could have my deposit back (how nice!!!). Not even a phone call to let me know. They did say they had a 2012 Acura if I was interested, ha ha.... Sorry JP Motors, you lost my business because you lack customer service and simple respect for others. If I received a phone call, you could have sold both Acura's. Hopefully JP Motors will treat potential customers better in the future but it doesn't sound like they will ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the useful information, that has further educated and informed me. I have just gone through JP Motors's billing department interacting with Business Manager. He has already done with me which I can not expect...Now I am preparing for the real hard time at the time of picking up the car because when Bill of Sale was handed over to me, there was some other charges which was not discussed with me-and also we agreed that I will pay some of them by credit card bt it was different...I noticed, the first generated Bill of Sale was torn to garbage . Now the second Bill was handed where its written that Customer is buying as seen ,as equipped Verbal promises will not be Honoured while I was mentioned that its company policy to deliver the car with full safety and emission which will be upto 30 days warranty, that's why they complete the car with full safety then deliver to the customer, It would be better to deal with the dealers after doing research on JP Motors before wasting my time . I have also given a deposit for the car and waiting to pick up within a few days... I hope I should not face the same terrible situation from JP Motors,. I wish I will be made a happy customer not like other to write the same in regard to the service. Hopefully JP Motors will treat its potential customers better in the future but it doesn't sound me like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BUYER BEWARE IS CORRECT...
    I bought a 2007 Honda Ridgeline w/ 101,628K back in May 2014. Probably the biggest mistake I've made thus far. I was at first inquiring about a 2009 Ford Sport Trac, sold the next day..so I went back in and This Honda had came in fresh on the lot and I was rather interested at first site, took it for a test drive and fell in love. one minor detail..the windshield had a stone chip in it on the drivers side, I inquired about it and was reassured by Thomas Reid that it would be replaced based on MTO standards. Great...so lets get the financing done. David Mckay was a gentleman and arranged all the paper work. After a week, due to safety certification/inspection/etest... My truck was ready for pick up. It was raining that day just before close, and I hadn't noticed until i was driving home ...my wipers were creating a scoring streak across my path of vision. My windshield was still the same windshield... So I Had to wait til the next morning to call as they were just closing after my departure. I was transferred to service.... "sir, we filled it and it should be fine" Thats nice, I was told it'd be replaced. "well, we can take a look at it for you" I show up to the windshield place a half hour before close due to my work schedule, "sorry sir, we cant help you today..." This is after phoning to see if i could come in, leaving work early to do so. To add insult to injury, I had it in within a week for the brakes to be redone due to grinding, the control arm and stabilizer had to be replaced because they broke, and my A/C wasn't working...So they resurfaced my rotors, changed my stabilizer and control arm and charged my A/C unit, disregarding my steering issue i also reported. Great. So that was all within the first 15 days of a 30 day warranty. (I did also pay for the 40,000K extended Warranty) After a few more inquiries about my windshield, and failure to comply, I decided to call David M, my finance guy there, since he was the only one answering, He said verbal discussions from our sales guys don't typically count, as I found it to be typed on my sales papers on a side note. But keep in mind, It clearly states on the MTO website that any starring, cracks or chips infracting the wiper or impairing the drivers vision, that windshield shall and must be replaced. So, while waiting for word back from Service I had my 3 month/5000k maintenance scheduled as a part of the binding contract, That I am to maintain the vehicle and keep it in good standing. Here is the kick in the nuts I received. My guy doing the oil change and fluid inspection pulls me in the shop and says, "when is the last time you had your truck in for service sir?" I said I just bought it 3 months ago and am doing my first maintenance. He said I don't think this truck has ever been serviced. My power steering fluid was so black and decrepit that it was causing a major issues with my steering as I had been noticing weeks prior and mentioned to the service department upon my first and second visits. Now, Power steering is a functional test, but all fluids and levels must be checked, as stated by MTO. My transmission fluid seized to flow on paper and large metal flaking was visible. My engine and cabin filters were probably never changed since the vehicle was initially bought by the first owner, had pine needls, maple keys and a partiall birds nest in it. Now I questioned that in my mind, would that be a part of the etest functionality for air flow, causing restrictions and possible O2 and other coordinating sensors to improperly function.
    So I called JP Motors and was told no one was in, but I could leave a message.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BUYER BEWARE IS CORRECT...
    I bought a 2007 Honda Ridgeline w/ 101,628K back in May 2014. This Honda had came in fresh on the lot and I was rather interested at first site, took it for a test drive and fell in love. one minor detail..the windshield had a stone chip in it on the drivers side, I inquired about it and was reassured by Thomas Reid that it would be replaced based on MTO standards. Great...so lets get the financing done. David Mckay was a gentleman and arranged all the paper work. After a week, due to safety certification/inspection/etest... My truck was ready for pick up. It was raining that day just before close, and I hadn't noticed until i was driving home ...my wipers were creating a scoring streak across my path of vision. My windshield was still the same windshield... So I Had to wait til the next morning to call as they were just closing after my departure. I was transferred to service.... "sir, we filled it and it should be fine" Thats nice, I was told it'd be replaced. "well, we can take a look at it for you" I show up to the windshield place a half hour before close due to my work schedule, "sorry sir, we cant help you today..." This is after phoning to see if i could come in, leaving work early to do so. To add insult to injury, I had it in within a week for the brakes to be redone due to grinding, the control arm and stabilizer had to be replaced because they broke, and my A/C wasn't working...So they resurfaced my rotors, changed my stabilizer and control arm and charged my A/C unit, disregarding my steering issue i also reported. Great. So that was all within the first 15 days of a 30 day warranty. (I did also pay for the 40,000K extended Warranty) After a few more inquiries about my windshield, and failure to comply, I decided to call David M, my finance guy there, since he was the only one answering, He said verbal discussions from our sales guys don't typically count, as I found it to be typed on my sales papers on a side note. But keep in mind, It clearly states on the MTO website that any starring, cracks or chips infracting the wiper or impairing the drivers vision, that windshield shall and must be replaced. So, while waiting for word back from Service I had my 3 month/5000k maintenance scheduled as a part of the binding contract, That I am to maintain the vehicle and keep it in good standing. Here is the kick in the nuts I received. My guy doing the oil change and fluid inspection pulls me in the shop and says, "when is the last time you had your truck in for service sir?" I said I just bought it 3 months ago and am doing my first maintenance. He said I don't think this truck has ever been serviced. My power steering fluid was so black and decrepit that it was causing a major issues with my steering as I had been noticing weeks prior and mentioned to the service department upon my first and second visits. Now, Power steering is a functional test, but all fluids and levels must be checked, as stated by MTO. My transmission fluid seized to flow on paper and large metal flaking was visible. My engine and cabin filters were probably never changed since the vehicle was initially bought by the first owner, had pine needls, maple keys and a partiall birds nest in it. Now I questioned that in my mind, would that be a part of the etest functionality for air flow, causing restrictions and possible O2 and other coordinating sensors to improperly function.

    ReplyDelete
  11. part 2...

    So I called JP Motors and was told no one was in, but I could leave a message. So I did, To no surprise, I had to call back, and I got nothing resolved, David M gave me John Mackie's email, I worte him a lengthy email, in a polite fashion, stating my problems and asked for some for of resolution. Several days passed and no response. I wrote him again stating I was going to upper management had I not heard from him in the next 24 hours. Almost instantaneously he responded, not to answer my questions, but to brush me off without telling me to fuck off.."Sorry, You have 30 days or 1500km to report any problems, and fluids are not typically changed" I responded simply by saying, thanks for the gentleman you are and resolving nothing, That a trained and diligent service member would have noticed these problems upon service and if you are telling me they didn't, then they didnt service anything at all, I would like the records, because they would have done something at the point of purchase. No response.
    I lost it. I contacted David M once again, the only guy that contacted me back. He gave me Larry (the owner) and his son Ryan's emails. A week goes by, and no response, So I do a follow up email no stating i was contacting a lawyer, the MTO, and the Consumer affairs agency. Ryan writes back at 1130pm, Sorry I didn't get your email, Odd, everyone else I cc'd did. So i resend him the prior weeks email. with my cell phone number, He instead calls my works number, leaves his number with my receptionist, and I call back within minutes. No answer!! I leave a voicemail and my number again. The next day, there is an email from 11pm "I left you a message yesterday morning" I responded saying I got it, and left a voicemail...since then, I have called back numerous times, got no answer, and left several voice mails, Its now been a month and a half of chasing my own tail while these guys just keep playing games. Enough is enough, I am now taking action.
    JP MOTORS HAS GOT TO BE THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED.
    I PAID FOR A WARRANTY THAT ISN'T EVEN BEING HONOURED.
    OH AND TO TOP IT OFF
    MY A/C UNIT BLEW WHILE I WAS ON THE HIGHWAY JUST YESTERDAY...YUP, THE SAME ONE THEY "FIXED" VAPOUR AND STEAM PISSED OUT OF MY ENGINE AND ITS ONLY TIME BEFORE SOMETHING ELSE GOES WRONG... 4 1/2 MONTHS IN ON A 5 YEAR FINANCE...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you had to go through basically the same thing as me Christopher. I also feel my purchase with JP Motors was the worst mistake I ever made. Touch wood my truck has been relatively fine for the past 5 years (except for front/rear brakes, tires, blown radiator, and a failed driver side bearing, obviously this is just wear and tear after 5 years) , but the amount of headache I had to go through with this dealership was just plain wrong. Just like you, it was always stories and run around... I caught them in so many lies and they just didn't plain care about the customer after I took ownership of the vehicle. I can understand this attitude if you're buying an As-Is vehicle, but they should have much better standards selling certified vehicles. It sounds like you're having a lot of mechanical problems with your truck. I really hope the MTO and your lawyer can make things right for you. The laws against used dealerships are much more strict now than when I bought my truck. About your brakes grinding and machining the rotors, my truck from JP Motors also had the same problem on the front and rear brakes. They machined the rotors but the problem came back again after a few months. I took the truck to another mechanic and had them turn the rotors again and the problem still came back after a few months. The only way to get rid of the problem for good for me was to replace all 4 rotors and pads. If anyone is seriously considering purchasing their next vehicle from here, I would suggest first taking the vehicle to your own mechanic to have it looked over before you sign any purchase agreements. Note down anything that is out of the ordinary and put it in writing on the bill of sale. On the day of your pickup, DO NOT sign off on the vehicle unless all requirements on your bill of sale have been met. They'll probably act quicker to get everything resolved if they're not getting their money!

      Delete
  12. Horrible!!!! Absolutely Horrible!!!!! When I bought the car I purchased what I was told was a warranty to cover all major mechanical parts. After only a few months of owning the car the starter went. After I brought the car to my mechanic I learned that the warranty was a power train only?!?!? Really? Like I would have spent 2500 on a 18 month power train warranty?!?!? My fault, I guess I should have read all the fine print but I trusted JP Motors at that time. It was going to cost me $435.00 with my mechanic to fix it. Felling a little bit ripped off I called the dealership manager John and asked what we could do to make the situation right.

    John offered to fix the car and said he would discount the parts and labor but I had to get it to his shop. When I called to book the appointment with JP I asked what the estimated discount price would be but the service clerk was unable to give me a price because John was not in the office. After my mechanic temporarily fixed the starter I brought it in to JP and that’s when things got real slimy. John’s so called discount price was $400?!?!? This is after supposedly discounting 110 of the part and cut labor in half???? Seems to me John raised the prices to make it seem like he was discounting me when in fact he was not.

    When I called to speak with John and ask why it was only 35 less than what my mechanic quoted me he reminded me I should have gotten a quote before I brought it in ( Seems to me like he told the clerk not to quote me so he could jack me and hold me hostage when I got there). I told him I did request and would have never bothered if I had known and that $35 wasn’t much of a discount, his response was “ If you don’t like it, I will roll your car into the parking lot and leave it there” WOW!?!?!? John Is That what you call standing behind your products and customer service?!?! So just a warning to all reading this DO NOT BUY YOUR CAR FROM JP MOTORS THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF/SCAM YOU!!!!! DO NOT BE FOOLED LIKE I WAS THESE GUYS ARE AS SLIMY AS IT GETS! THEY ARE NOT SALESMEN BUT MORE LIKE CON ARTISTS. LARRY THE OWNER IS A JOKE FOR LETTING THIS HAPPEN IN HIS SHOP.

    ReplyDelete